As TikTok’s popularity soars, so do #privacy concerns about the company. In fact, according to recent research published by WhistleOut, right now 53% of Americans believe TikTok is spying on its users.
But TikTok is far from the only company Americans suspect of spying on them. Surprisingly, even more Americans (68%) believe that US-based Facebook is spying on them than TikTok (53%).
Other interesting findings include:
- 80% of Americans think at least 1 tech giant is listening in on their conversations
- Almost 2/3 of respondents say they’ve gotten an ad for a specific product they’ve talked about, but have never searched for online before, leading many to conclude big tech is listening to their conversations.
- More than half (57%) of Americans think at least 1 tech company should be banned in the U.S. because of privacy concerns
- 1 in 5 say the US should ban Facebook
- 2 in 5 say the US should ban TikTok
- 40% of respondents admitted they’ve stopped using or deleted TikTok before due to privacy concerns, and 18% admitted they’ve done the same for Facebook.